31 Days of Halloween: Day 26

220px-Staphylococcus_aureus_VISA_2There are more things to be scared of at Halloween than you can imagine! Like getting a skin disease from your mask…

KOMONews.com (in Washington state) warns us that trying on rubber Halloween masks may be dangerous. Biology professor Dr. Stan Kikkert evidently tested some masks. “I was quite surprised at the number of bacteria and the diversity of the bacteria that you guys found on these different plates,” he said. The biggest danger is the exposure to the bacteria that could lead to skin conditions, such as staph infection. (The bacteria is shown here on the left.)

“One person after another after another wearing this probably adds to this and allows for the bacteria to actually cultivate, so that might be part of the reason why we see such robust results,” Kikkert said.

Kikert said wiping down the inside of your your mask with rubbing alcohol should get rid of the germs.

Share

Comment?

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>